Friday, August 27, 2010

Thoughts on fads, time and new things.

I have some confessions to make. I often am easily swayed by pop culture. I like Justin Bieber. I mean have you seen this kid? He's cute and talented. People say he is just a fad. When I was in the states this summer, Gabo and I watched an E! special on him. His voice coach was talking about how his voice is going through the change but they believe that he has great pitch and will make it through the change and have a career afterwards. I am rooting for him. In fact, I have made a bet with my friend Abraham here in Mexico that people will still know him in 2015. 

All that to say, I think we mostly focus on what is popular or cool now. We are impatient and we don't usually want to take time to see if something is going to last or not. So if it's Justin or an IPAD or the newest car, why do we become so obsessed with the newest thing?

Gabo and I have talked a lot lately about how there is nothing "new" we need to know about God. Everything that has been taught that is valid was written in the good book long ago. If someone has a new idea, chances are it's not from Jesus. We don't need new ideas. We need to know the old ones well. 

The book of Nehemiah is showing up EVERYWHERE in my life these days. I think God wants to teach me something about this guy. First of all, this guy was committed to rebuilding the walls. Do you know that in total the process took 12 years? Building movements and mobilizing projects TAKE TIME. 

I too have bought into the "the quicker, the better" philosophy in ministry. I believe God can do anything don't get me wrong but ministry takes time and patience. I have really wrestled with the idea that I don't know if I have done anything life changing in 3 years here in Mexico. But it's only been 3 years. 

Time...it always gets you. I don't know where we will be working in a year or where we will live in 5 years. But I know that time is precious and I need to use my time wisely. More than that, I need to trust Jesus with my time.

The Bible talks extensively about being renewed but in Christ. If we don't experience renewal, we become bogged down with cynicism, we lose our imagination or the idea to dream. These things are part of using our time wisely. If I am cynical and just want to make it through the day, I am wasting my life. I am learning it's a fine balance of the two. I tend to be "over analytical" and think it is all up to me. 

I am not sure where I will end up or what will be popular on that day but I want to continue to not lose heart as I am given one more day. And I hope that Justin still has a voice in 2015 so I can win a bet. :)


No comments: